św. Jakuba 20A Pokaż na mapie
Internetowy katalog zbiorów biblioteki
Tuesday – Thursday 10am – 3pm
Biblioteka Muzeum Okręgowego w Toruniu
ul. św. Jakuba 20A
tel. (56) 660 56 04
The Research Library of the District Museum in Toruń has been located in a renovated building at ul. Św. Jakuba 20A since 2010. It is also the home of the Department of Archaeology. The Research Library collects national and foreign publications in the field of history of art and culture (including materials related to non-European cultures – from the Far East, South America), archaeology, numismatics, museology, conservation, as well as all publications concerning Nicolaus Copernicus and Toruń, in the form of:
All books are obtained through donations, purchases and exchanges with several dozen other museums and scientific institutions in Poland and abroad. At present, the library’s collections consists of nearly 35,000 volumes. It is possible to use the link on the Museum website (Libra 2009) to browse the list of new library acquisitions and its resources (alphabetical catalogue, searching for key words).
The library was created with the museum’s employees in mind, but all interested parties can use the collection on site. We will be glad to share our resources with you.
The Department of Archaeology is one of the oldest departments of the District Museum in Toruń. Archaeological objects have been collected in the Museum since the beginning of its existence, i.e. since 1861, when it was created as the City Museum (Städtisches Museum), and have always been an important and valuable part of the collection. Nowadays, its inventory books contain records of almost 200,000 objects.
The oldest part of the museum’s collections was established thanks to the activities of two Toruń scientific societies, the German Coppernicus-VereinfürWissenschaft und Kunst and the Scientific Society in Toruń. The collections of both these institutions were merged in 1930 as part of the City Museum in Toruń.
Urns with facial decorations (photo 1) constitute a particularly interesting category of objects. The District Museum in Toruń has one of the largest collections of such urns in Poland. The collection of objects from the Roman cemetery in Lachmirowice (Inowrocławpoviat) is particularly impressive. The population buried in this cemetery was connected with the Amber Road and most of the dead were probably responsible for protection of merchant caravans. Another particularly interesting type of objects are so-called “hedgehog” vessels (photo 2) imported from the territories of the Roman Empire. The museum has four such objects which has been discovered in Lachmirowice. It is the largest collection of such vessels in Poland.
In addition to the above-mentioned exhibits, the department’s collection includes also objects from all ages: from the Stone Age, through the Bronze Age, to the Iron Age. Their chronological and spatial diversity makes them a very valuable testimony to cultural changes taking place not only in the areas closest to Toruń, but also in the entire country. Fans of the Middle Ages and the modern period will not leave the department disappointed because a significant part of its collections consist of objects from those later periods, mostly related to Toruń. Aside from cataloguing and studying the collected objects and preparing exhibitions, the employees of the department conduct field research, supervise archaeological works conducted in Toruń and the surrounding area, participate in scientific sessions and conferences, write for scientific publications, as well as prepare and conduct educational activities. We invite you to participate in the educational cycles titled Summer Meetings with Archaeology and Through the Centuries and Continents. More information on both of these cycles can be found on the museum’s website: www.muzeum.torun.pl.